20 000 tons of plastic products are directly recycled by Barbier Group for its own production. The recycling and the use of recycled raw material in the manufacture of products is a part of the recognized and well established expertise of Barbier Group and testifies its involvement in the objective of reducing carbon footprint.
Barbier Group’s human and financial investments allowed it to become a global player.
Barbier Group recycling
20 000 tons regenerated every year :
Colored, transparent, specifically, PEHD boltless regenerated…
Two specialized plants for 6 separate waste flows :
Production waste, post-use industrial waste, films from large retailers and bottles / vials from selective collection, agricultural waste (greenhouse, silage, wrapping…) and household films from collection.
7 regeneration lines
2 wash stations
Available equipped with a closed water circuit and of their own water treatment plants :
1 optical sorting station + ballasting sorting + densitometric sorting + infrared sorting, to produce better quality regenerated products and to allow regenerating still more materials.
RECYPLAST: your waste will made tomorrow’s products!
Produce film and tubes for industrial use with after use recycled material, it is now possible thanks to the combined efforts of BARBIER Group and the establishment of different sectors.
This would obviously require complete and modeled integration: from the waste collection to its conversion in a new product.
But why should integrate ourselves? In order to have the control of our waste and to give security to our customers in the supplies sustainability and in the batches reliability and traceability.
The origin of the material to be recycled can be diverse:
- household waste through the extension of sorting instructions (eco-packaging / valorplast),
- agricultural waste through the collection organised by ADIVALOR as part of a voluntary initiative Agriculture, Plastics and Environment (APE) submitted by the French Committee of Plastics in Agriculture (CPA).
- industrial waste through our own collection from our customers and from Recyﬁlm.
Barbier Group sources of supply in recycled materials are various:
- sorting centres for households,
- french recuperator for industry and logistical warehouses,
- french recuperator for agriculture with APE.
How to guarantee, secure and optimize the source of our supplies for recycled materials?
- by rigorous statement of work and standard specifications which will be determinate by Eco-Packaging
- by the choice of our partners depending on the different sectors, to extract the best in quality
We get these sorted wastes in bale form or pallet strapped, mostly sorted in the following way for Barbier:
- by type: Polyethylene (PE) only with a margin of error of about 2 or 3%.
- by colour: transparent or coloured.
Barbier Group has long time worked to develop several formulations of a large panel of samples of recycled material from different sources. Following a precise protocol, a sophisticated mixture and a know-how acquired from long time, we were able to establish the most stable formulations to obtain a very homogeneous product.
Our obsession to ensure the quality and consistency of our products over time makes us aiming the excellence as a guarantee of security for our customers, as for the rest of our production.
Upon reception of waste, we proceed to 4 possible types of sorting:
- optical sorting,
- ballistic sorting,
- densitometric sorting,
- infrared sorting,
More the sorting is refined, the more the raw material is considered clean (free of all interfering substances: PES, PP, PVC, paper, etc.) and therefore good.
Depending on the quality we get, we will decide to make additional sorting in order to purify the final mixture.
The number of sortings, guaranteeing quality of the final product, is also for us the opportunity to offer different levels of quality and optimizing mechanical properties of the product.
Then the « clean » waste will be crushed, washed and then transformed in granules.
Following these operations, we will do a drawing of the material obtained for:
- a visual control,
- a complete analysis (physico-chemical)
Depending on the products, applications and customer requirements we have developed several recipes in which we mix:
- materials from domestic, agricultural and industry
- transparent or coloured raw material
- PEHD, LDPE, linear raw material
For each product of Barbier range, we have made a selection of different mixtures which according to customer’s applications and expectations will bring an answer:
- quality 1 = low-range,
- quality 2 = mid-range,
- quality 3 = high-range.
Then, we will flow the raw material that we can incorporate into the final product. To start we are limited to 15% for each product. This is a minimum, it is a starting point that we can evolve based on different feedbacks we get.
Finding the right partners who see this new concept real differentiation!
- we enter the area of the circular economy,
- positive communication,
- environment policy,
- can be economical if well controlled.