To improve product performance
The main mission of the Barbier Group’s Research and Development Department is to improve the formulations and to intensively test our products.
With a laboratory equipped with modern and high performance analytical and control equipment, is one of the Barbier Group’s driving forces for product evolution and the improvement of their performance.
Thanks to the R & D work many improvements have been achieved:
- THE DOWN GAUGING OF ITS PRODUCTS.
- AN IMPROVED QUALITY OF RECYCLED RAW MATERIALS WHICH ALLOWS US TO INCORPORATE MORE OF THIS MATERIAL IN THE FORMULATIONS OF CERTAIN PRODUCTS.
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF BIODEGRADABLE ALTERNATIVES AND / OR BIOBASED FORMULATIONS FOR CERTAIN PRODUCTS WHEN APPROPRIATE.
To develop innovative solutions for our customers
The Barbier Group R&D department is actively involved in the development of solutions and is specially adapted to the technical demands of our customers.
As an example of a project of this type, our partnership with Limagrain, Mondi the Papermaker and Calcia Cement Manufacturer led to the development of biodegradable plastic films to replace polyethylene film used in the production of cement bags. A major innovation which make these bags compostable after use.
To contribute to the Barbier Group’s future and also to the plastics industry in the long term
For this purpose, the Barbier Group takes part in national and European cooperative projects with other leaders in industry.
The challenge is to study and to develop tomorrow’s innovations in terms of plastic films in general and in packaging more specifically. These cooperative projects, for which Barbier Group brings its knowledge and expertise in the fields of extrusion processing and printing, also mobilize raw material suppliers, machines manufacturers, plastic films users as well as academic participants (university, public or private research institute).
CURRENTLY THE BARBIER GROUP IS ACTIVE IN SEVERAL PROJECTS ADDRESSING VARIOUS THEMES:
- REGE UP (ORPLAST ADEME project): pilot of this project aimed at increasing the rate of recycled raw material produced from post-consumer plastic waste in the finished products that we sell.
- 2 BIMULCH(FUI project): pilot of this collaborative project aimed at optimizing the use performance of biodegradable mulch film (in particular for a better control of degradation behavior in and on the ground).
- HYDROP(FRI2 Auvergne project) : partner of this collaborative project concerning the development of a knowledge with technical characteristics of water-solubility controlled, and answering a precise specifications for an application in the field of the hygiene.
- SECURIPACK(Research project of AURA region) : partner of this collaborative project aimed at reducing the migration of packaging in contact with food via 2 axes of study:
- Introduction of additives by vectorization CO2
- microstructural entrapment of additives for a final application concerning polyolefin films
- Biodegradable BAG (study financed by ADEME): Subcontractor partner of this collaborative project to study the behavior of industrial or domestic composting of Fruit & Vegetable transport bag.
- BIODOM (ECOPHYTO2 project): Subcontractor partner of this collaborative project concerning the development of biodegradable mulch film formulations for use in overseas areas in tropical climates.